Getting a dog? Consider this.
Your dog will cost you somewhere between 4000 to 10000 dollars over a span of about ten years with expenses such as...
- Purchase of the dog
- kennel fees
- veterinarian costs (shots, heart worm medication)
- replacing or fixing variable items in the house (carpets, floors, chewed or damaged items)
- unexpected vet bills (treatments and medication for cuts, infections, strains, allergy sensitivities etc...)
- damage to the yard (grass)
- Anti barking collar (if you have a dog that barks when you're not home and you live in an apartment)
- Obedience training
- Can many of the inevitable life changes you'll likely encounter take the dig in consideration (move to a new home, career, travel, kids etc...) allow you to keep your dog?
- If you're single, your potential new partner may have allergies to/not be fond of dogs.
- Dog walker
- City enforced dog tags
- Don't forget the dirt a dog brings in the house, especially during thaws and rainy days.